Grand jury indicts sheriff’s deputy with traffic citation for crash that killed Denham Springs woman | recent news

After hearing evidence regarding a deputy’s fatal collision that killed a Denham Springs woman over the summer, a grand jury elected to charge the deputy with a subpoena, according to the district attorney. district Scott Perrilloux.

Deputy Cory Winburn was given a ticket for careless operation of a motor vehicle, a citation that stems from his role in the morning wreckage that killed a 33-year-old mother of four in July.

The grand jury convened early Tuesday and presented its decision late that evening. Although the deputy was ultimately charged with a subpoena, the grand jury had the option of formally indicting him on a criminal charge.

Driving without a car is defined as the inability to “drive in a safe and careful manner so as not to endanger the life, limb or property of anyone”. Failure to do so can result in 250 hours of court-ordered community service and the possibility of having a driver’s license suspended for two years.

In a statement, Livingston Parish Sheriff Jason Ard said his office had “fully cooperated” with Louisiana State Police, who were investigating the crash. Ard added that his office was also conducting an internal investigation “to determine what discipline of Deputy Winburn might be appropriate.”

“As per this office’s policy of not commenting on pending legal matters, there will be no further comment regarding this accident at this time,” Ard said. “We continue to keep the Estave family in our thoughts and prayers.”

The grand jury’s decision stems from July 15, when Winburn, responding to a service call in a “fully branded” Chevrolet Tahoe, flipped a Saturn on LA Hwy. 16 southbound, just south of LA Hwy. 64.

Christinia Estave, the engine manufacturer of the Saturn, was killed in the crash which occurred around 1 a.m.

At the time, state police said Estave’s car “was stopped” in the left lane of LA 16 southbound when the deputy, driving south in the left lane of LA 16 , “hit the rear of the stopped vehicle”.

Estave was taken to a local hospital, where she eventually died from her injuries. A family friend then organized an online fundraiser to help with the expenses of Estave’s fiancé and children.

The MP reportedly suffered “minor injuries”.

Few other details have been released regarding the crash and its investigation, which state police turned over to the 21st Judicial District Court district attorney’s office.

A preliminary investigation determined that neither driver was wearing seat belts.

Kevin A. Perras