Ten percent of Citation Excel / XLS jets upgraded with Garmin G5000
Ten percent of the Cessna Citation Excel / XLS fleet has now been modernized with the Garmin G5000 integrated cockpit. Garmin also announced the functionality of the Engine Indication System (EIS) for the Pilatus PC-12/45 and PC-12/47 models.
Garmin introduced the G5000 upgrade to the Excel / XLS fleet in 2019. The package includes:
- three landscape-oriented flight displays with split screen capability
- the ability to simultaneously display maps, graphics, checklists, TAWS, TCAS, flight plan information and weather
- a fully digital automatic flight control system (AFCS)
- emergency descent mode (EDM) which can be activated by the autopilot in the event of loss of pressurization of the aircraft
- Optional underspeed protection (USP) that allows the autopilot to aid in speed management, while still allowing fully coupled go-arounds
âWe are delighted that so many owners and operators have chosen to upgrade their Citation Excel / XLS to the G5000 since we announced program certification just two years ago,â said Carl Wolf, Garmin’s vice president of aviation sales and marketing.
âOffering an unprecedented level of situational awareness, the G5000 also offers a significantly lower cost of ownership and an exceptional flying experience, making it an attractive upgrade from these popular aircraft. “
Updates to TXi for PC-12
Garmin now offers full EIS functionality for TXi installations in select Pilatus PC-12 models.
The TXi EIS can be installed as part of a package, which includes
- 10.6 inch G600 TXi Flight Display (s)
- GTN Xi Series Navigators
- a GFC 600 autopilot
- a GI 275 electronic flight instrument
- a GTX ADS-B compliant transponder
- optional GWX weather radar
Operators are also seeing weight savings as part of the update, with the removal of legacy cabling and heavier components.
âWith this facility,â the company said in a statement, âthe system offers new operational capabilities and features, including autopilot coupled VNAV descents, fully coupled missed approaches and Smart Glide safety technology, which can engage Autopilot and pitch automatically for best aircraft glide speed while simultaneously navigating close to the selected airport so the pilot can execute an approach and landing.